Victoria College, of which Victoria College Preparatory School is an integral part, was founded in 1852 and is a member of the Headmasters’ Conference. An Independent School with a distinguished history and fine traditions, it continues to make a major contribution to the educational life of the Island of Jersey.
The Preparatory School
The original Preparatory School was opened in 1922. The Headmaster, who is a member of the Independent Association of Preparatory Schools (IAPS), has sole responsibility for staffing, curriculum and administration. The present building, completed in 1966, has many specialist rooms including Music, Art, Dance, ICT and Technology. It was designed and built specifically for its purpose, being self-contained and situated at the south end of the College grounds. Although it is only five minutes walk from the town centre the building is in a quiet and rural setting with ample playground space. The College fields, indoor swimming pool and other sports facilities are used by the Preparatory School.
As a staff we feel confident in maintaining certain traditions which have been established at the school. They are considered to be of value in enhancing the educational development of the pupils. Most of these traditions are common to Victoria College and a dialogue is always established during review. The school is proud of both its heritage and traditions but is not a slave to them. A balance is sought between tradition, and progress.
The co-educational pre-prep school, for children aged 4 to 7 years, is incorporated within Jersey College for Girls Preparatory School. There are thirty three full time places available for boys who start in the Reception class in the September following their fourth birthday. Early registration is recommended as there is a considerable demand for places.